Orthodontic Checkups for Growing Smiles
At Houston Orthodontic Specialists, we follow the American Association of Orthodontists’ guidelines that recommend kids have their first orthodontic evaluation at age seven. We offer free early evaluations and complimentary growth and development visits until your child is ready to begin treatment. During these appointments, we monitor your kiddo’s teeth and jaws. If we spot emerging issues, we can correct them before they become more serious, potentially avoiding the need for surgery and extractions later in life. When your child comes in for their early evaluation, they’ll become a member of our exclusive Kids’ Club. They’ll get a t-shirt, a membership card, prizes and invites to exciting events. We make sure your child’s appointments are positive, fun and informative! Book your little one’s free early evaluation online or by calling our office at (713) 667-6000 (Bellaire) or (281) 752-4222 (West Houston) today!
Why Age Seven?
Seven-years-old is the perfect age to have an orthodontic evaluation. By this time, most children have a mix of primary and permanent dentition (baby teeth and adult teeth), as well as their first molars. We’re able to get a good idea of how their bite is forming and whether or not their teeth and jaws are developing properly. We treat conservatively and we only recommend early intervention if there is a clear benefit. However, if it is indicated, we can more easily guide the growth of their teeth and jaws to set the stage for lasting results. Early visits also gives kids the opportunity to develop a relationship with their orthodontist and get used to appointments, so they feel more comfortable when they do start treatment. Plus, who doesn’t want to become a member of the Kids’ Club at Houston Orthodontic Specialists?
The Benefits of Early Treatment
If early treatment is necessary, it can:
- Guide or correct your little one’s jaw growth to fix imbalances and other problems
- Guide tooth eruption to encourage permanent teeth to come in straight
- Make more space for crowded teeth
- Put an end to harmful oral habits like thumb sucking or tongue thrusting
- Reduce the risk of dental injury by fixing protruding teeth
- Help your child chew, speak and breathe easier
- Prevent the need for jaw surgery or extractions as a teenager or adult
- Give your child a beautiful, confident smile and a boost in self-esteem