Correcting Bites Without Headgear
The Carriere Distalizer is a special orthodontic device that was developed to correct the bite by shifting the upper teeth backwards prior to wearing braces. It helps to fix incorrectly erupting teeth without the removal of permanent teeth. Its overall effect is similar to headgear yet you don’t have to wear a bulky appliance.
How Does the Carriere Distalizer Work?
- First, Dr. Tabakman, Dr. Bloome, Dr. Wadler or Dr. Khan creates an anchor point through a lower Essex device, mini screws, a passive lingual arch or a full mandibular appliance.
- They then attach the Carriere Distalizer to the upper teeth on both sides of the mouth.
- Next, an elastic band is attached from the upper bar to the lower back molars. You’ll wear the elastic band all day except when you’re eating.
- By wearing your elastic regularly, your bite will be corrected in a few months, depending upon the overall severity of your case.
- After the removal of the Carriere Distalizer arms, we’ll place upper braces. This will further correct your bite and align your teeth to give you a confident, beautiful smile!